The Webmaster or Web Manager is a strange and varied beast, something of a jack-of-all-trades. The role demands an attitude that supports self-help, constant upskilling, and a vigilant eye on technology. A Webmasters responsibilities can vary greatly between organisations of various types and sizes.
It’s not unusual for a Webmaster to be expected to posses some skill and take part in a range of traditional IT roles for web related services or projects.
Irrespective of who traditionally performed them, following are some typical tasks that are potentially a Webmaster’s responsibility in a larger organisation with one or more web servers..
- Educating Authors and Customers
- Generating Log Reports
- Publishing & Managing Content
- Securing the Website and Servers
- Managing user/group accounts
- Interacting with clients
- Monitoring/Tuning server Performance
- Server-side Programming / ASP or PHP
- Templates creation for Authors
- User & Technical Documentation
- Upskilling & Following technology
- Website promotion and SEO